Heath Clark
a ride through the mind of a mindless man

One Word

By Heath
Ok so I am sitting here on a Saturday afternoon. I am watching the Dawgs march down the field (Go Knowshon!!!) cleaning the apartment and about to start laundry where I will probably read and or work out (probably not work out because I think laziness is calling my name and to lose weight would be a waste of the money that I have invested in my physique).

So sitting here I decided to write because I haven't written in a very long while. I have been thinking a lot this week about what was preached last week at church. I, like many, grew up thinking that the story of Jonah was one of God pouring out his wrath on Jonah for not doing God's WILL. The story takes on a whole new meaning when one word is brought to light. In verse 3 in the first the plot thickens as Jonah flees the PRESENCE of God not his WILL. Now the story is of God going to great links to lovingly pursue his son AND A CITY to bring them in his presence and not merely punish him into submission. The story is not about one man but the kingdom and one man's part in that kingdom. It's about God and him going to great lengths to bring people into community with him. It's but a chapter in the whole story of redemption and restoration.

Jonah got distracted with his own little kingdom. I can completely relate and understand why. God told Jonah to march up to an evil and violent people and call them out. I find myself living for my kingdom far more often than I would even like to admit. I Christianize my autonomy and somehow turn the grace and sufficiency of Christ into a super highway to meet my own needs and fail to think of THE kingdom.

"It is a sweet thing that we serve a dissatisfied God who has destinations in mind for us that we would never choose for ourselves. It really is a good thing that he wil not be satisfied until he has gotten us exactly where he created us and re-created us to be."
- Paul David Tripp A Quest for More

The Dawgs just won...now to the laundry!
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?